Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Housing Programs - Renters

rental signRamsey County Community & Economic Development and HRA works with developers and owners of rental properties in suburban Ramsey County communities; direct services for renters are provided through a network of other area organizations.

Over the past 20 years, Ramsey County has provided funding of nearly $75 million for the construction of two thousand rental units. Of the 992 units directly assisted with Ramsey County resources, all are affordable to tenants whose incomes are less than 80% of the area median income. To obtain a list of privately owned, government assisted rental buildings in Saint Paul and suburban Ramsey County, contact the area office of the Department of Housing and Urban Development at 612-370-3000 Extension 3500.

Households seeking affordable and/or accessible rental housing in the metro area are encouraged to visit the Housing Link web page. Listings of available apartments, duplexes, houses, condos, and townhouses are posted weekly on the web site.

Student Renter's Guide

Rental Assistance

Renters interested in suburban rental housing assistance are encouraged to contact the Metro Housing and Redevelopment Authority, the agency administering the Section 8/Housing Voucher Program in suburban Ramsey County. The phone number is 651-602-1428.

In Saint Paul, the Public Housing Agency handles assisted properties and can be reached at 651-298-5158. Public Housing may be available for low income families and seniors. Applications for public housing may be made over the telephone at 651-298-4444.  Section 8 Applications in the City are closed due to the extensive waiting list and low turnover of available vouchers.

Tenants who need help with security deposits and the first month’s rent may apply to Ramsey County Human Services – 651-266-4444. Assistance is available only once during a 12-month period and funding is first-come,first served for eligible applicants. Neighborhood social service centers may have additional resources.

Eligible Senior Citizens may have a choice of 16 high-rise buildings in Saint Paul. A listing of these buildings for the elderly and disabled is available by calling 651-298-5158 or visit them online: Public Housing Agency.

To find services and or housing in your community contact the Senior LinkAge Line®. You can reach the Senior LinkAge Line® by calling 1-800-333-2433,or by email

Renters who have tenant/landlord issues can contact the following resources for assistance:

  • Dispute Resolution Center (DRC): 651-292-7791
  • Home Line: 612-728-5767
  • Minnesota Attorney General’s consumer line: 651-296-3353
    • Receive a free booklet which explains the law in simple terms.
    • Landlords and tenants are encouraged to read and study this booklet to potentially save both parties hundreds of dollars in court costs.
  • Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Assistance: 651-222-4731
    • 300 Minnesota Building, St. Paul
  • Questions from landlords may be directed to the Saint Paul Association of Responsible Landlords (SPARL): 651-647-6810
    • 1595 Selby Avenue, Saint Paul, Suite 104
    • Landlord 101 class attendence is encouraged. Engaging the services of a private attorney can also be helpful.

For utility payment issues, tenants may wish to contact:

Emergency Housing Intake for Saint Paul/Ramsey County Residents
Homeless individuals and families willing to live in an emergency shelter should contact the Emergency Housing Intake office at the Family Place in the Central Methodist Church across from Regions Hospital on 639 Jackson Street, Saint Paul. The phone number is 651-225-9357.

Other Services for Homeless people are available at:

  • The Dorothy Day Center, 186 Old Sixth Street, 651-293-9907
  • Listening House, 215 Ninth Street West, 651-227-5911
  • Safe Zone Teen Drop-In Center, 410 Prince Street, 651-224-9644
  • Ramsey County Human Services, 160 East Robert Street, 651-266-4444.