Applicants l Licensed Providers l Parents l Child Care Home
Licensing Process for Ramsey County Applicants
Next Orientations: September 23, 2015| 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. | Community Action Building, Bruce Vento Room (Bigelow) | 450 North Syndicate (by Target), St Paul, MN 55104
Orientation Schedule - September through November 2015
Potential applicants must attend an initial orientation meeting to learn if this may be the right business for you.
- Applicants will receive application materials at the initial orientation meeting.
- For more information or to register for a meeting, call 651-266-KIDS (5437).
- If you need an interpreter while attending an orientation meeting please call 651-266-4166.
Family Child Care Licensing Orientation Rules of Attendance
- Late Arrival: Participants arriving 15 minutes beyond the start time of the session may not be allowed attendance.
- Cancellation Policy: If school and after school activities are closed due to inclement weather, our training/orientation is cancelled also. Cancellations for reasons other than the weather will be posted on the Ramsey County Family Child Care Licensing web page.
- Children are not allowed to attend the orientation session(s).
Important Notice Ramsey County collects fees for mandatory background studies ($100) and the licensing process fees are $50 for one year and $100 for a two year license. The Accounting Department sends an invoice to applicants. It must be paid before the license is issued. Learn more about license fees
Training for Applicants
The State of Minnesota requires that all childcare license applicants complete the following trainings before they can be licensed:
- Child Growth and Development Behavior Guidance (4 hours)
- Supervising for Safety (6 hours)
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- First Aid
- Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID, formerly SIDS)
- Abusive Head Trauma (AHT)
- Child Passenger Restraint (car seats) if going to transport children
Resources for finding the required classes are listed below:
Think Small (formerly Resources for Child Caring)
CPR Twin Cities (the authorized provider of Red Cross CPR and first aid training)
Child Care Aware
Background studies are required for all persons performing licensed child care Background Studies (pdf)
Why get and how to get licensed, space requirements and more. FAQs
Minnesota Dept of Human Services General Child Care Licensing Information