Applicants l Licensed Providers l Parents l Child Care Home
Licensing Process for Ramsey County Applicants
Next Orientation: June 10, 2015 | 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. | Ramsey County 160 East Kellogg #9600
Potential applicants must attend an initial orientation meeting to learn if this may be the right business for you.
- You will receive application materials at the initial orientation meeting.
- For more information or to register for a meeting, call 651-266-KIDS (5437).
- If you need an interpreter while attending an orientation meeting please call 651-266-4166.
Family Child Care Licensing Orientation Rules of Attendance
- Late Arrival: Participants arriving 15 minutes beyond the start time of the session may not be allowed attendance.
- Cancellation Policy: If school and after school activities are closed due to inclement weather, our training/orientation is cancelled also. Cancellations for reasons other than the weather will be posted on the Ramsey County Family Child Care Licensing web page.
- Children are not allowed to attend the orientation session(s).
Child Care Orientations May - Sept 2015 (Word) | Child Care Orientations May - Sept 2015 (pdf)
Important Notice Ramsey County collects fees for mandatory background studies ($100) and the licensing process fees are $50 for one year and $100 for a two year license. The Accounting Department sends an invoice to applicants. It must be paid before the license is issued. Learn more about license fees
Training for Applicants
Prior to caring for children, any caregiver must have specific training:
- Child Growth and Development Behavior Guidance (4 hours)
- Supervising for Safety (6 hours)
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- First Aid
- Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID, formerly SIDS)
- Abusive Head Trauma (AHT)
- Child Passenger Restraint (car seats) if going to transport children
The licensor will not recommend a license until these trainings have been completed.
Resources for finding the required classes are listed below:
Think Small (formerly Resources for Child Caring)
CPR Twin Cities (the authorized provider of Red Cross CPR and first aid training)
Background studies are required for all persons performing licensed child care Background Studies (pdf)
Why get and how to get licensed, space requirements and more. FAQs
Minnesota Dept of Human Services General Child Care Licensing Information