Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Applicants for Child Care Licenses

Applicants l Licensed Providers l Parents l Child Care Home

Licensing Process for Ramsey County Applicants


Next Orientations: September 23, 2015| 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. | Community Action Building, Bruce Vento Room (Bigelow) | 450 North Syndicate (by Target), St Paul, MN 55104

Orientation Schedule - September through November 2015

Potential applicants must attend an initial orientation meeting to learn if this may be the right business for you.

  • Applicants will receive application materials at the initial orientation meeting.
  • For more information or to register for a meeting, call 651-266-KIDS (5437).
  • If you need an interpreter while attending an orientation meeting please call 651-266-4166.

Family Child Care Licensing Orientation Rules of Attendance

  • Late Arrival: Participants arriving 15 minutes beyond the start time of the session may not be allowed attendance.
  • Cancellation Policy:  If school and after school activities are closed due to inclement weather, our training/orientation is cancelled also. Cancellations for reasons other than the weather will be posted on the Ramsey County Family Child Care Licensing web page. 
  • Children are not allowed to attend the orientation session(s).

Important Notice Ramsey County collects fees for mandatory background studies ($100) and the licensing process fees are $50 for one year and $100 for a two year license. The Accounting Department sends an invoice to applicants. It must be paid before the license is issued. Learn more about license fees

Training for Applicants

The State of Minnesota requires that all childcare license applicants complete the following trainings before they can be licensed:

  • Child Growth and Development Behavior Guidance (4 hours)
  • Supervising for Safety (6 hours)
  • Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
  • First Aid
  • Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID, formerly SIDS)
  • Abusive Head Trauma (AHT)
  • Child Passenger Restraint (car seats) if going to transport children


Resources for finding the required classes are listed below:

Think Small (formerly Resources for Child Caring)

CPR Twin Cities (the authorized provider of Red Cross CPR and first aid training)


Child Care Aware


Background studies are required for all persons performing licensed child care Background Studies (pdf)

Why get and how to get licensed, space requirements and more. FAQs

Minnesota Dept of Human Services General Child Care Licensing Information


Child Care Home