Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

Financial Assistance Services Department

The building is closed Thursday, Nov 27th - Friday, Nov 28th. Holiday week hours (M-W) are 7:30 - 4:15.

160 E Kellogg 651 266 4444     FAS determines eligibility for people with low incomes for:

          • Child Care
          • Food Support
          • General and Emergency Assistance
          • Medicaid (MA) 
          • Minnesota Family Investment Program
Normal Lobby Hours are 7:30 - 5:45

Eligibility & Applications for Help in Ramsey County 

Visit Bridge to Benefits for a screening tool to find out if you may be eligible for benefits and to register.

Learn How to Apply in person for Cash or Food Support assistance (M - F 7:30 am to 5:45 pm). 

Learn about the EZ Info telephone  to hear and leave messages in English, Español, Lus Hmoob (Hmong), or af Soomaali.

Learn how to Apply on-line with ApplyMN a secure system. You can apply for health care, cash assistance,
SNAP (food support), and child care assistance programs.

Ramsey County & Minnesota Programs

When you select links below, you will be redirected to the Minnesota Department of Human Services (unless indicated).

Cash Assistance   

    The following programs help people with low incomes receive Cash support. Select links to learn more.

    Burial Assistance - call the "Burial Specialist"  | 651-395-1637
        Burial Assistance for Ramsey County Military Veterans  | 651-266-2545

    Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) - This program helps pay childcare costs for low-income working families.

    Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - When most families apply for cash assistance, you participate in the Diversionary Work Program, or DWP. This 4 month program helps parents go immediately to work rather than receive welfare.

    General Assistance (GA) - This program is Minnesota's primary safety net for single adults and childless couples. GA provides monthly cash grants for vulnerable persons whose income and resources are less than program limits.

    Group Residential Housing (GRH) - GRH is a state-funded income program that pays for room-and-board costs for low-income adults in a licensed or registered setting. A county human service agency negotiates a monthly rate.

    Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - MFIP is Minnesota's Cash and Food Assistance program for families move to work. After watching the video, Ramsey residents may contact Human Services to learn more or apply for services.
    See English MFIP DVD | Saib daim yeeb yaj kiab no hais txog MFIP | Af Soomaali MFIP | Vea este DVD acerca de MFIP

    Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - MSA is a state funded program that provides a monthly cash supplement to people who are older, blind or have disabilities and who receive federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

    Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) - RCA coordinates services to help refugees make the transition to life in the United States. Services include resettlement and placement, cash and medical assistance, and employment and social services.

Food Programs 
Health Care Programs 
Emergency Programs

    Ramsey County Emergency Assistance (EA) - This program is for low-income families in a financial crisis.

    Emergency General Assistance (EGA) - This program helps low-income individuals in a financial crisis.

    Emergency Minnesota Supplemental Aid - EMSA is only available to persons currently receiving MSA.

    Emergency aid is usually provided as specific payments for shelter or other emergency expenses, which cause a threat to the health or safety of individuals or families. People currently on a Financial Assistance program should call their caseworker to apply for emergency aid. People not currently on Ramsey County assistance can call 266-4444 to get information on how to apply for emergency aid.

Homeless Help and Shelter 

    Coordinated Access to Housing and Shelter - CAHS Ramsey County Social Services staff work in collaboration with Catholic Charities and St Paul YMCA to coordinate intake services for families who are homeless AND have dependent children.

    • Location: Woodland Hills Church - 1740 Van Dyke, North St Paul, MN 55109
    • Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
    • Phone number: (651) 215-2262
    • Coordinated intake services for access to housing, services, and shelter
    • Referrals to emergency shelter


How to Apply in Person for Financial Assistance

Ramsey County Citizens Advisory Council

Citizen Advisory Council (CAC) volunteers advise the County Board and are valued resources for FAS programs.
Learn more about CACs and get an online application.