Indoor storage of hazardous waste
- The container must be compatible with the waste, sturdy and leak proof.
- Keep it closed, unless adding or removing the waste.
- Maintain adequate aisle space between containers and other objects.
- Inspect the containers weekly and document it.
- Keep incompatible hazardous wastes separated.
- Do not exceed the time and quantity storage limits outlined below.
- Store wastes on an impermeable surface.
Outdoor storage of hazardous waste
The same requirements as indoor, plus:
- Shade ignitable wastes from direct sunlight
- Protect wastes from unauthorized access and moisture
- Store free liquids on a curbed, impermeable surface
While being accumulated, label the containers:
- With the words "HAZARDOUS WASTE"
- Clear description of the waste
- Accumulation start date (the date you first put waste in the container)
Before transporting the waste, mark the container:
- DOT Hazard labels
- DOT Shipping name and ID number
- Company name and address
- EPA ID number
- Manifest document number
- The words "Hazardous Waste - Federal Law Prohibits Improper disposal. If found, contact the nearest police or public safety authority or the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency"
Storage and accumulation limits by generator size
Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG)
- Generates 100 kg* or less of waste per month (less than 1/2 drum)
- Can accumulate 1,000 kg (or about 4 drums) on-site. If a generator exceeds this limit, waste must be managed according to Small Quantity Generator guidelines
- Can store less than 1,000 kg indefinitely. Once 1,000 kg is accumulated, waste must be shipped off-site within 180 days
Small Quantity Generator (SQG)
- Generates between 100 kg* and 1,000 kg of waste per month (about 1/2 to 4 drums)
- Can accumulate 3,000 kg (or about 12 drums) of waste on-site. If a generator exceeds this limit, waste must be managed according to Large Quantity Generator guidelines
- Waste must be shipped off-site within 180 days after the waste was first placed in the container
Large Quantity Generator (LQG)
- Generate 1,000 kg or more of waste per month (more than 4 drums)
- No limit on how much waste can be accumulated on-site
- Waste must be shipped off-site within 90 days after the waste was first placed in the container
*100 kg (kilograms) is approximately 220 pounds or 22 gallons
For tips on storing your containers
Return to Hazardous Waste