Free Adobe PDF Reader


Green Ramsey

General Information
651-266-1376 (TTY)

Public Health
Environmental Health
Vital Records

Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

PH Logo Starting a Food Establishment

Starting a Food Service Establishment in Ramsey County
Contact Saint Paul – Ramsey County Public Health, Environmental Health for information on food code requirements, local ordinances and permits. Ramsey County Food Protection Ordinance (pdf) | Minnesota Food Code | Starting a Food Business in Minnesota (pdf) | Recycling Requirements (pdf) | Smoke-free Restaurant Ordinance (pdf) | FAQ about Licensed Establishment Inspections | Food Service Construction Guide (pdf)

This office does not serve the cities of Saint Paul (651.201.4500) or Maplewood (651.249.2000)

Who Needs a License
Restaurant, Bars and Supper Clubs | Assisted Living Facilities | Bed and Breakfast Operations | Catering Kitchens and Commissaries | Convenience Stores and Delicatessens | Public and Private School Kitchens | Snack Bars and Cafeterias | Other Food Service Operations

Plan Review
A Plan Review is required for all new food establishments and when remodeling any existing food establishments. A food license cannot be issued to a new food establishment until the plan review process has been completed.  An equipment review is also required when an existing food establishment is interested in adding a new piece of equipment | Plan Review Process

Licenses and Fees
A food license is issued for the calendar year (January 1 – December 31). This license is not transferable to another person or location. All license applications must be completed and the fee paid prior to the final inspection. A final inspection is required before the license is issued.  

Other Requirements

  • Taxpayer ID & Tax Permits - Contact the MN Department of Revenue for a Taxpayer ID Number. The Taxpayer ID Number is different from the Employer ID Number.
  • Employer ID - Contact the IRS for information on a Federal Employer ID Number. The Federal Employer ID Number is different from the Taxpayer ID Number.
  • Contact your city or township regarding local liquor and tobacco licenses.

Food Manager Certification Courses    
Each facility serving potentially hazardous foods must employ a certified food manager. Courses are offered throughout the year.  Participants successfully completing the full-day course will receive a certificate from the National Restaurant Association Education Foundation | Food Manager Certification Courses (pdf) | 651.266.1199 | No credit cards accepted | Check or exact cash only

Food Safety
Information regarding food codes, food borne illness and emergency handbook for food service managers | Food Safety

More Information
Minnesota Department of Agriculture | 651.201.6027 
Minnesota Department of Health | 651.201.4500 
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry | 651.284.5067

Return to Licensing & Inspections