Free Adobe PDF Reader

Civil Process
Gun Permits
Criminal History
Community Services

9-1-1 Emergency


Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space

If You Believe You Are a Victim of Identity Theft

Steps for Identity Theft and Fraud Victims

In Minnesota, identity theft becomes a crime when any victim, a person or a business, suffers a monetary loss. 

  • Organize a Contact Log
    If you are contacted by someone, write down the date, the agency, the person you talked to, and the information exchanged.

  • Contact the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office or Your Local Law Enforcement Agency
    To file a report, have bank account and credit card account information available.  It is also helpful to prepare information concerning your identity being used by another person and the loss incurred.  For example, when and where a transaction took place, the amount of the transaction, and any additional information. 

    A report must be filed with your local law enforcement agency.  Any other report filed with any other agency does not replace filing a report with your local law enforcement agency.  Filing reports with other agencies helps to prevent future victimization.

  • Contact Each Bank and Each Credit Card Company
    If your checks and/or credit card(s) have been stolen or used fraudulently, notify each bank, each card company, and each business involved.  Offer to complete and sign Affidavits of Forgery as needed.

  • Contact All Three Credit Bureaus
    Notify the three credit reporting bureaus.  Ask for a "Fraud Alert/Victim Impact Statement" on your credit file.  Creditors will then contact you before opening any new accounts.  This will also alert you when/if someone inquires about your credit.
  • Contact the Internet Fraud Complaint Center
    Information reported to the Internet Fraud Complaint Center is often sent to local law enforcement agencies.  This information may assist in uncovering larger fraud operations.

    Internet Fraud Complaint Center Website

  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission
    Notify the Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Hotline by calling 1-800-438-4338 and obtaining advice on how to proceed.  The Federal Trade Commission’s website has information and a downloadable affidavit form.  This affidavit can be copied and sent to all banks, financial institutions, merchants, and companies involved.  This affidavit can also be notarized.

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Identity Theft Clearing House
600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
Washington, DC 20580
Phone: 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338)
TDD: 202-326-2502

  • Contact the United States Postal Inspection Service
    Contact the U.S. Postal Service about mail tampered with or missing from your mailbox, bills that were sent but not received, and mail being falsely forwarded to another address.

U.S. Postal Service
Postal Inspection Service
1745 Stout Street, Suite 900,
Denver, CO 80299
Phone: 303-313-5320

  • Contact the Social Security Administration
    Contact the Social Security Administration Fraud Hotline to report fraudulent activity, frequent or misuse of your number, a lost or stolen card.  A request for a duplicate card may also be made by calling the Hotline.

    Social Security Administration Fraud Hotline: 1-800-269-0271

  • Contact the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) Division
    Contact DVS to report a missing driver’s license, apply for a new driver’s license, or inquire if anyone has applied for an identification card or driver’s license in your name since yours was lost or stolen.

Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Division of Driver and Vehicle Services
Various locations throughout the state
Phone: 651-296-6911

  • Contact the Minnesota Financial Crimes Task Force
    To file a report, contact:

Minnesota Financial Crimes Task Force
P.O. Box 21007
Columbia Heights, MN  55421
Phone: 763-502-7756

  • Contact the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office
    The Attorney General’s Office has information and resources related to identify theft, including how to guard against identity theft.

Minnesota Attorney General’s Office
1400 NCL Tower
445 Minnesota Street
Saint Paul, MN 55101
Phone: 651-296-3353


Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office
Minnesota's First Law Enforcement Agency - Established 1849

Sheriff Matt Bostrom