Permit to Purchase/Transfer Ownership
Minnesota law requires a resident to have a Permit to Purchase/Transfer in order to obtain a handgun through a purchase, sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery from another person. If a resident has a valid permit to carry a handgun, that permit constitutes a permit to purchase.
Ramsey County residents who do not have a permit to carry must go to the police department in their city to apply for a Permit to Purchase/Transfer. State law requires law enforcement agencies to conduct a series of background-related checks to assure the eligibility requirements established in state law are met.
Residents of Arden Hills, Gem Lake, Little Canada, North Oaks, Shoreview, Vadnais Heights and White Bear Township must apply at the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office Patrol Station (1411 Paul Kirkwold Drive, Arden Hills). Applications are accepted Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm.
A Permit to Purchase/Transfer or a denial letter will be mailed within seven days. Permits to Purchase are valid for one year. There is no fee.
Minnesota law requires all handgun transfers be reported to local law enforcement agencies (police departments and sheriff's offices). If selling a handgun and the buyer has not obtained a permit to purchase, the seller must notify the local law enforcement agency of the potential transaction. Once the law enforcement agency receives the transfer/purchase agreement, the agency has five days to determine the potential buyer's eligibility to possess a handgun.
- Complete the application in person. All areas of the application must be filled in completely, signed and dated on the date presented. Falsified applications will be reviewed for possible criminal prosecution.
- Must be a US Citizen or Legal Alien. Applicants must have a current Minnesota Drivers License, Minnesota ID Card, or Passport with supporting residency documentation on their person at the time of application.
- Must be 21 years or older under Federal Law to acquire handguns from licensed dealers.
- Must not be a fugitive. Any type of warrant (petty parking) classifies a person as a fugitive.
- Must not be the subject of a restraining order.
- Must not meet any Exclusion for Permit criteria.
Option for a one-time purchase
For a one-time purchase of a handgun from a gun shop or dealer without a Permit to Purchase, an application can be made directly at the gun shop/dealer where the purchase will be made. The gun shop/dealer will require a consent form to be completed to allow a background check to be conducted in order to determine eligibility to purchase a handgun. Gun shops/dealers are entitled to charge a fee for this service.
Ramsey County Sheriff's Office
1411 Paul Kirkwold Drive
Arden Hills, Minnesota 55112
Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Closed on Saturday, Sunday, and government holidays