About Clearance Letters
The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office provides clearance letters, which is a document that indicates an individual does not have an arrest record in Ramsey County at the time the letter is printed. Clearance letters are provided to individuals who are required to provide proof that they do not have an arrest record in Ramsey County. Clearance letters are often requested for travel (visas), educational, or employment reasons.
Requesting a Clearance Letter
Clearance letters can be requested in person or via United States Mail.
In Person Requests
- Appear in person at the Criminal History Unit (located on the first floor of the Law Enforcement Center, 425 Grove Street, Saint Paul). The Criminal History Unit hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, excluding holidays.
- Cash and credit cards are accepted.
In order to process a clearance letter by mail, the following information is required:
- Full name of person
- Date of birth of person
- Number of copies needed
- Reason why this information is being requested in the form of a letter
Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office
Criminal History Unit
Attention: Clearance Letter Request
425 Grove Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101
- The request must include a:
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope
- A money order made payable to Ramsey County Taxation
- Allow 4-6 days for delivery
- The fee for a certified clearance letter is $6.00.
- The fee for a standard clearance letter is $5.00.
For more information, please contact the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office Criminal History Unit at 651-266-9585 or email CriminalHistory@co.ramsey.mn.us.