About School Resource Officers
The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office partners with school districts via contract to provide licensed and professionally trained deputies who deliver law enforcement and police services to the school, school grounds and areas adjacent to the school.
Working in collaboration with educators, students, parents, and the community to reduce crime, drug abuse, violence, and to provide a safe school environment, School Resource Officers (SROs):
- Provide support and guidance to youth, answer questions, and make referrals
- Offer individual counseling and mentoring to students
- Patrol school grounds, respond to calls for service in the area, and participate in youth programs to prevent juvenile delinquency
- Engage students in the classroom by presenting on a number of topics, including the work of the School Resource Officer, the criminal justice system, and other related topics that help to build an understanding of law enforcement’s role in the community
- Participate in school-related events
School Resource Officers attend training by the National Association of School Resource Officers.
Currently, the Sheriff’s Office has SROs serving the following schools:
- Mounds View High School, Arden Hills
- Roseville Area Middle School, Little Canada
- Capitol View Center, Little Canada
- Transitions at Bellaire, White Bear Township
- Oak Grove Middle and High School, Shoreview
- Chippewa Middle School, North Oaks
- Island Lake Elementary, Shoreview; Turtle Lake Elementary, Shoreview; Valentine Hills Elementary, Arden Hills
For more information, please contact the Public Safety Services Division at 651-266-7300.