Free Adobe PDF Reader



Building Locations

blank space

Choose text size: A | A | A
Bookmark and Share

blank space


The Homestead Exclusion

The State of Minnesota maintains a benefit program for people who own and occupy their home called the Homestead Market Value Exclusion.  This program has two main benefits for qualifying homeowners:

  1. It reduces the Taxable Market Value of the property (for properties valued under $414,000 only), thereby lowering taxes, and

  2. It is one of the qualifying factors for homeowners to receive the State of Minnesota Property Tax Refund.

For more on Homesteads, please see Minnesota Statute 273.124.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible to receive the Homestead Exclusion, you must (all three requirements below must apply):

  1. Be one of the owners or a qualifying relative of one of the owners of the property 
  2. Occupy the property as your primary residence
  3. Be a Minnesota resident
    • How do I know if I qualify as a Minnesota resident for homestead purposes?
      • Are you registered to vote in Minnesota?
      • Do you have a valid Minnesota driver's license?
      • Do you file a Minnesota income tax return as a Minnesota resident?
      • Do you list property in Minnesota as your permanent mailing address?
      • Do your children, if any, attend school in Minnesota?

The following people usually qualify to receive the Homestead Exclusion:

  • Owners/occupants
  • Certain relatives of the owner
    • Some relatives of the owner may qualify for a homestead exclusion if they occupy the property as their primary residence.  The relatives of the owner must be a: parent, child, stepchild, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, stepparent, parent-in-law, grandchild, grandparent, brother, brother-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, nephew or niece.
  • Members of family farm corporations or farm partnerships
    • In certain cases members of family farm corporations and farm partnerships may qualify. Other corporations or LLC’s or partnerships do not qualify.
  • Property held by a trust if specific requirements under the law are met

How do I apply?

To apply for Homestead, you must fill out a Homestead application (pdf)

Depending on your living situation, you may have to submit additional forms with the paper Homestead application.  Below is a list of forms you may have to submit.

  • A copy of the ownership deed to your property* (only if you have purchased your property in the last 3 months)
  • A copy of your Certificate of Real Estate Value (CRV)* (only if you have purchased your property in the last 3 months)
  • A Non-Occupant Relative/Co-Owner or Non-Occupant Spouse form (if applicable); these forms can be found under "Additional forms" below

* If you do not have a copy of your deed or CRV, your closing company likely does.
** You do not have to list occupants on any Homestead-related form if they are under 18 years of age.

Additional forms:

  • Non-Occupant Co-Owner/Relative Form (pdf)
    • This form must be enclosed with an Application for Homestead Classification form when: 


      • The owner of the property does not live there, and a qualifying relative of the owner occupies the property as their primary residence
        • Example: A Mom and Dad own a house and their son is the occupant.
        • The owner(s) (in this case, the Mom and Dad) would complete the Non-Occupant Co-Owner/Relative form, and the son would complete the Application for Homestead form.


      • There is more than one owner, but not all of the owners occupy the property
        • Example: Friends (Joe, John, and Sue) buy a house together. John and Sue are in Africa doing missionary work, so Joe is the only person who lives in the property.
        • The non-occupant owners (in this case, John and Sue) would complete the Non-Occupant Co-Owner/Relative form and the occupant owner (Joe) would complete the Application for Homestead form.

  • Non-Occupant Spouse Form (pdf)
    • This form must be enclosed with an Application for Homestead Classification form when:
      • Only one spouse occupies the property (required even if only one spouse owns the property) 
        • Example: Marriage dissolution proceedings, legal separation or place of employment prevents one of the spouses from occupying the property
        • The spouse occupying the property would complete the Non-Occupant Spouse form, making sure to check one of the boxes relevant to his/her situation.  Depending on which box is checked, he/she is required to attach a copy of all relevant documents that are listed next to the checked box.  The occupant spouse would also complete the Application for Homestead form.

*NOTE: Please do not use staples on any of the above forms.

Submitting your paper application:

  1. By mail: send the Application form and required documentation to:

    Ramsey County Assessor (Homestead)
    P.O. Box 64097
    St. Paul, MN 55164-0097

  2. In person: at 90 W. Plato Blvd. in St. Paul.
*NOTE: We do not accept forms by fax or email.

When should I apply?

You should apply as soon as possible after you purchase and move into your home.  As long as you purchase and occupy your property by December 1 of any year, and submit your Homestead application and any other required paperwork by December 15 of that year, your property will be classified as Homestead for taxes payable the following year.

How will I know if my application has been accepted?

Please check your Property Tax Statement (usually sent out each March).  If your application for Homestead has been accepted, it will say "Res Hstd" next to "Property Classification" about one-third of the way down the page.  If it says "Res Non-Hstd", your property has not been classified as Homestead and you will want to call Homesteads section of the Assessor's Office at 651-266-2040.

For Your Information

Once you are granted the Homestead classification, you must notify the Assessor's Office within 30 days if one of the following changes takes place:

  1. You sell your property
  2. You or your spouse moves out of your property or changes your primary residence
  3. You change your marital status (ex. marriage, divorce, death of spouse)
  4. You change your mailing address

If you do not notify the Assessor's Office of these changes, you may lose your Homestead classification and the benefits that go with it.

Additional Information

Commonly Asked Questions


Making false statements on any homestead application or form is against the law. Minnesota Statutes, section 609.41, states that anyone giving false information in order to avoid or reduce their tax obligations is subject to a fine of up to $3,000 and/or up to one year in prison.

In addition, the property owner may be required to pay all tax which is due on the property based on its correct property class, plus a penalty equal to the same amount (Minnesota Statutes, section 273.124, subd. 13, paragraph h).



Phone: 651-266-2040