The Mission of the Ramsey County Public Works Department is to enhance the social and economic welfare of the people of Ramsey County by providing and maintaining a safe, efficient transportation system that is coordinated with the needs of other units of government; facilitating the preservation of the quality of County lakes and other water resources through effective resource management; providing a system of uniform land records to ensure the proper recording of land survey documents; and continuing the coordination of public works programs with federal, state and local agencies.
The following objectives are vital to Ramsey County Public Works Department's success in accomplishing its mission:
- Review, plan, program, and construct the County highway system and provide information about the system to other government agencies and the general public.
- Provide roads, bridges, and traffic control/warning systems which are designed to meet state and/or federal highway specifications and ensure the safe and efficient movement of motor vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Provide a maintenance program for the County highway system that safeguards the traveling public and protects the County's investment in the highway system.
- Increase street capacity by obtaining the maximum level of service from the existing highway system while attempting to minimize the impact these facilities have on the social and physical environment.
- Provide professional engineering and land survey services to other Ramsey County departments and coordinate these services with the engineering efforts of others.
- Provide a fleet of equipment and motor vehicles necessary to accomplish public works operations and provide vehicle maintenance for other County departments.
- Protect the County's environmental resources by providing services in the areas of water resource management, drainage, weed control, and maintenance of County roadside trees and vegetation.
- Provide a work environment that promotes employee safety and development while encouraging trust, open communication and teamwork.